Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wore: Being Brave

I have a fashion comfort zone and bright colors are not part of it. There's that voice in my heard that loves a new look or a new color pallet but it constantly telling me it's for someone else, not me. Many of you don't know that I had a weight problem growing up. Middle school age was the worst. I was the fat kid. Not that I got teased a lot, but I filled my own mind with so many negative thoughts. Things like I wasn't good enough, that I wasn't smart enough and I was ugly. To this day I still get haunted by those childhood memories.

If I'm being honest, I have a fear. I will not leave the house without makeup. I've made it a shield to the world. Honestly. I ask myself how something as simple as makeup can make such a huge impact on my day-to-day life, even my emotions. It does boost my self confidence and makes me feel pretty. Without it, I feel vulnerable, weak and exposed.

Then I remind myself, God made me in His image. My body is borrowed while I'm in this world, that everything I am, and everything I do, is for Him. His word says:

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Romans 12:2

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Little by little, I am breaking this mold that's been effecting my life for over 20 years now. I'm easing into it with a splash of color. Now if my daughter wouldn't have put this outfit together for me, I would never in a million years put these two bright colors together. Aqua and coral? Oh my. She told me to trust her, added a scarf, earrings and some flats. Guess what? I really liked it!

{Wore: Tee & Scarf - Wet Seal ||  Skirt & Earrings - Styles || Shoes - Local shoe store} 
  I wore jeans, t-shirts and Uggs everyday.
Not anymore. I encourage you to break out of your fashion comfort zone and try something new.

What makes you feel vulnerable?
Linking up with What I Wore Wednesday
Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I feel a little self-conscious about super bright colors too. I don't want to draw that much attention to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh I LOVE your outfit!! It looks amazing and the colors!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! This post was so inspiring, and you're stinking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very laid back and bright look! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great look for you! I love your earrings and that skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look amazing! I love the color and even more I love the owl earrings!!

    xxS

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are Gorgeous & those colors look beautiful on you! That skirt is so cute!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't go wrong with a maxi skirt and I think it's more comfortable than jeans--you look good and those colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute outfit! Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you went with your daughter's advice. The colors are so happy and vibrant. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the bravery and the colors are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color combo! My best friend is my go-to person for advice about clothes. Her motto is: you don't know if something looks good on you or not until you've tried it on. So I've tried on a lot more outfits than I normally would!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the aqua + coral combo! One of my favorites by far! I've always loved bright colors but I can definitely see how they scare others!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks great! just wear it with confidence and you can totally pull it off

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a beautiful outfit! yay for colorblocking!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are gorgeous girl. And I can totally relate to all you are saying. Ive been big most my life... so believe me I get it! Being brave is hard! But I love those verses and your thoughts on breaking the mold. :)

    BTW I cant imagine you as "the fat girl/kid"! But "fat" or not you are SUCH a beautiful person, inside and out... and I imagine you always have been!

    Love ya,
    Maria-Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. what I cute outfit, I love that skirt, the colour, the style. Awesome. Good for you for jumping out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wanted to stop by and say thank you for linking up for blogworking wed! I hope you met some great new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I need to break out of my comfort zone! I have a love/fear relationship with bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those two colors together! You look fabulous as always!

    Happy Wednesday!
    xo breanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty outfit!! You look beautiful! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  22. do you think your daughter will help me get out of my black, blue, grey rut. Need more colors in my wardrobe. You look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful outfit! It is amazing how long those childhood memories/fears follow us. The only lesson we should gather from them is their perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. way to go girl...see color isn't so bad is it?! ! LOVE the bright coral choice...you look so great and what a perfect color on you!! :-)

    xoxo
    Aarean

    ReplyDelete
  25. luve that coral pink long skirt!

    my blog is about cosmetics and nail reviews
    visit for more information
    thank you

    http://8881397.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent beat ! І wish to apрrеntice while уοu аmеnd your wеb ѕite,
    hoω cаn i subѕсгibe for a blog ωеb ѕite?

    Τhe accоunt helpеd me a аcceptаble deal.
    I hаd bеen tiny bit acquaіnted of this
    youг bгοadсaѕt offerеd bгight сlear
    іdea

    my sіte Property for Sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...