Friday, August 17, 2012

It's OK Not To Be Perfect

I'm laughing hysterically as I create this post. Why? Because I poured hours and love into planning and preparing this birthday cake for one of my best friends and it was a disaster. I almost couldn't bring myself to post this. See I had this vision. I found this amazing piano cake on Pinterest I was sure I could replicate and couldn't wait to see the surprised look on the birthday girls face as I presented this remarkable mind-blowing cake. Well that didn't happen. Not even close. The layers slid out of place and the tower came crashing down. I was horrified. I only had a few hours until the party and didn't have time to re-bake so I did the only thing I could do and "fixed" it. Chopped off the tower {which we ate later}, re-frosted, drew on my music notes and VIOLA. 

What I realized, though it wasn't what I dreamed of it being, it was heartfelt and was told by many it was delicious. I didn't even share this story with her but occasionally she reads my blog so she'll probably find out and we'll laugh about it. That's what friends are for right?


Ingredients

  • 2 boxes of white cake
  • 2 tubs of cream cheese frosting
  • 1 basket of strawberries
  • 1 tube of white and 1 tube of black icing













Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Well you're a braver woman than me to offer in the first place, I would have had sleepless nights for weeks! Fair play to you for sharing - perfection is overrated I say, bet it tasted delicious with those strawbs inside though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making a 4 tier cake on Sunday for my friend and I'm already nervous! I know she'll love it though even if it falls apart. Tbh I think the cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how our vision can be so hard to translate into the finished product sometimes. That cake looks like it would be yummy, even if it was the second attempt. I've never thought to put fruit between layers. Must try this for my next cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to food taste is so much more important than presentation anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this last night I decided to make hubbys birthday cake for Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

    Yours looks great. And I bet it tasted great too!!

    Love ya!
    Hayley
    hayleysworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I can totally relate to this - and mine was a cake as well. Thank goodness taste is rarely based on appearance...... : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah yes, I have a couple of cake fails too...like a cake ball cake that turned out looking like a pile of moose poop! It was delicious though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say it looks great and delicious! We'd love for you to link up to our new weekly blog hop- photo friday- any of your fav. pictures from any posts are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's cute! I take it that you didn't post the tower disaster? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is so cute!! And it looks delicious!! Happy weekend to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cakes can be tricky! It looks totally delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The birthday girl LOVED it & it tasted DELICIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has happened to me so many times! I bet it tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still think it looks really cute...and if it tasted good that is what matters! I wish I had some right now...
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is so something that would happen to me-i've been considering making my son's first birthday cake...maybe it's hard than it seems!

    http://babybakerlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the thought that counts!!! Besides, I think it looks whimsical! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...