Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cake Pop Recipe


I heard a lot of stories that making cake pops was difficult but I felt I was up for the challenge. We were having a Saturday afternoon backyard get together with a table full of munchies so I thought these would be perfect. The only hard part was choosing which flavor to make!

I'm here to walk you through these easy steps...


Supplies

  • Cake mix and ingredients listed on the box {I did lemon & devils food.}
  • Half a package of frosting {I used lemon with the lemon cake and chocolate with the devils food}
  • White chocolate candy melts
  • Styrofoam 
  • Shortening {large spoon full}

Step 1
Make the cake mix as directed on the box.

Step 2
Bake as directed on the box and allow to cool slightly.

Step 3
Break the cake into pieces and put into a large mixing bowl.

Step 4
Now crumble the cake completely.

Step 5
Add 1/2 of the package of frosting into the crumbled cake. The frosting acts as glue.

Step 6
Now its time to get dirty. With your hands, crumple it all together so its mixed evenly and looks like one big dough ball.

Step7
Using the palm of your hands, roll your cake into 1" balls placing them on wax paper.

I put them in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden just a bit.

Step 8
Now its time to soften the entire bag of candy melts in a microwave safe bowl per the instruction on the bag. Once melted, stir vigorously until completely smooth. Once smooth add a tablespoon of shortening to thin out the texture.

Step 9
Take your cake pop stick and dip it in the melted candy about 1 inch. This will act as glue to hold your stick in place. Now insert the stick into the center of your cake ball.

Step 10
Now its time to coat the cake pops in the melted candy. I softly took a spoon and poured the melted mixture and allowed it to roll beneath the ball to coat all sides. Then placed them stick up, back on the wax paper for cooling.

If you want to decorate them I would recommend sticking them into a Styrofoam block to you can access the tops.
 

Viola! Now you know how to make cake pops! They are not hard, just a bit tedious at times. But well worth the wait!
 

I decided to make two batches. The yellow was lemon cake with lemon frosting. The blue was devils food cake with chocolate frosting. Have fun mixing things up a bit!
 
Found here.

These will be at every party I throw from now. Such as easy way to follow a color scheme. I'm thinking these would be a perfect "reveal" at a baby shower by having blue or pink cake inside. Wouldn't that be awesome?!
 
Enjoy!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. love it! I always just through the ball in the chocolate they never look pretty...I am so taking your chocolate applying tip! Cake balls here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used her recipe before too and it's so easy! I do the trick where I stick them in Styrofoam so they don't have the flat tops though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are such a great addition to any party! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these....I make cake balls all the time but not so much cake pops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is absolutely fantastic! All of my friends drool over them every time I bring them over. Thank you so much for the recipe, happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...